Holidays are a wonderful opportunity for sharing a special meal with your family and friends, but, unfortunately, they are also a serious source of stress for the person preparing the food. Having to cook for more people than usual and preparing more complex recipes can be quite tricky sometimes. If you are busy with cleaning the house, too, you will end up exhausted. Any experienced and wise housekeeper needs to take a few details into consideration for things to go smoothly.
- Plan in advance the recipes you want to prepare.
- Make your supplies in time but also make sure that the ingredients are fresh. You can buy sugar and flour a month before, but foods like meat, eggs or vegetables need to be bought before preparing the dishes.
- Ask for an experienced person’s help. It can be your mother, grandmother, or a friend. Sometimes you may need someone to supervise the food while you are busy with something else, as you don’t want your steak to get burned while you are doing the last preparations.
- Don’t try to please everyone. Not even a fancy restaurant will be able to prepare all the dishes that all your guests like the most. Cook the dishes that everyone eats.
- Clean the kitchen thoroughly before starting work. Organizing your kitchen tools, too, will help you save time while cooking. Clean as you go, don’t leave dirty vessels to pile up.
- Clean your refrigerator to ensure that you have enough space and that the food you will place in it won’t catch any unpleasant odors.
- Make sure that you have plenty of storage recipients and material, like aluminum foil, waxed paper and plastic wrap.
- Use a thermometer for tricky recipes.
- Refrigerate the food within two hours of preparation for food safety reasons.
- Wash the vegetables and herbs well and also wash your hands thoroughly.
- Don’t mix raw meat with other ingredients. If you have used a knife to cut raw meat, don’t use it for cutting the vegetables you’ll put in the salad without washing it before.
- Go for recipes you have tried before, this is not a moment for experiments.
It may seem like a lot of work to do, but if you grant yourself at least a couple of days for organizing things, everything will work out just fine. This will allow you to move fast and to be able to spend time with your loved ones, too.